Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Opinions.....Voice them already

So I've been watching The Voice. And I have to say there are some things I really like about it and some things I think can be improved (yes, I have a blog now, so I get to be a critic!). One thing that I thought they had made a great decision on, and I've been hoping Idol will do for years, is to have the judges have a part in the vote. I have to be honest that when it comes to the Idol winners over the last few years, I have one word - BORING! So obviously America, I'm sorry, but you get it wrong and apparently most Americans don't have much of a personality themselves, just look at the last 4 winners at least. As Simon would say - I'm sorry, but it's true.

Anyways, The Voice decided to give the judges a vote in last weeks round. I was psyched. Finally, not only does America have a vote, but a professional artist gets to put in their two cents and help decide this thing. Then they revealed their votes. Three out of four judges severely disappointed me. Guess what they gave....50 points to contestant #1 and 50 points to contestant #2. Really? What a let down. The only saving grace was Adam Levine when giving 65% and 35%. And he was honest about his reason! Whether you liked the young Casey better than the more experienced Javier, it doesn't matter. Adam's reasoning was the exact reasoning it should have been - Casey is 18 and with her talent can always come back and will have a future if she keeps trying. Javier is older and has had the door slammed in his face and the rug pulled out from under him so many times that Adam could relate. And instead of having 2 16 year olds in the finale like Idol ended up having (Durbin, Haille, Casey, and Paul were all robbed!), they are going to have more experienced artists.

I'm sorry, but no 16 year old should be thrown in the spotlight. Look at all of the teeny bopper artists through the years, and how many are actually ready for that and come out of it in one piece. A handful? And what happened to earning your place and working your way up? In this reality tv insta-star world we live in now, where did all the hard work go?? Reality tv stars will be for another time.

I really do want to give Adam Levine props for being honest and sticking to his guns and not taking the cop out approach like the other 3 judges. You aren't their parent, you don't have to lie to them and tell them you love all the kids equally. You are a judge/coach trying to win a contest. Have some balls and put up real scores instead of putting it all on America, who obviously can't be trusted - Scotty McCreery? Really America?

1 comment:

  1. well again, I totally agree with you, you are very wise... We have really enjoyed watching the Voice... I feel the contestants are a whole different level than on Idol... Most have already tried to make it in the music business, and not only singers but accomplished musicians... All very talented.. I also give a big thumbs up to Adam Levine for his honesty with his vote. Javier and Beverly both were so talented as were others. And have been trying to get their break in the music industry for awhile. I think the show really opened the doors for them and a few other very deserving artists. So good show. good blog.

    ReplyDelete